Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Do what you like.

When i was in maybe 6th or 7th grade, I had this dream to get into modelling and stuff. You know how girls are at that age right? We thought we could be Barbies and wanted everything to match from hair clip to footwear. So yea, I wanted to be a model who would walk for great designers and all. This obviously changed when i entered college. Since then I've never even watched a fashion show completely.

So at that time, I went on a train trip with my uncle and aunt. Which had me spending around 24 hours in train with them. We started talking to few people who were seated opposite us. One of them asked which school I'm from and things like that. One of the question was what I wanted to be growing up. Obviously my answer was "I want to be a model". As far as i remember they continued asking few more usual questions and ended normally. But then my uncle took me aside for a minute and said something i'll never forget. He said " Next time somebody asks you what your want to be growing up, Just say Doctor or Engineer".

Back then my thinking skills were almost zero. So just agreed with him and came back. I don't know what made me write about this now or even think about that incident. His words had no impact on me 'cos modelling profession was not serious in my mind and heart ever. But what if such words are said to those whose real dream and passion is that particular field? It would crush them. Not completely but there will be an impact on them. What's wrong in following your dream? Don't people in modelling field enjoy it? Aren't they happy? Isn't happiness what matters?

My parents have never forced me to study or follow particular profession. I really appreciate that. I also hope that everyone's given a chance to do what they like in life. 


I also wish everyone gives a hand at what they are passionate about 'cos obviously nobody wants to regret when its too late.

4 comments:

  1. All I can feel is how bad it would be for a 7 yr old kid to accept that his/her dream is no longer can be real. I hate that when it happens or when someone shatters them.

    You wrote well, precise and powerful. We too crib about the same and fighting the conventional parents(Go Engineer Go Doctor! walas) Hope you like this elaborate one http://propelsteps.wordpress.com/about/our-story/critiques-on-indian-educational-system/

    Regards
    Dinesh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your words.. :)

      Will go through the link for sure..!!

      Delete
  2. I agree.There are very few fortunate kids whose parents support n encourage them in whatever they do.we should follow our dream n accomplish it..we should follow wht our heart says n try n achieve it :)

    ReplyDelete